Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#90161 - 24/04/2002 19:48 Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted.
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Here I was today, crusin home, top down, tunes blasting, Rocking along with Robert, not a care in the world, and I hear a siren coming up behind me.

SHOCK, Aw s*&t! Quick look around for the copper. None there. WTF, no cop. Still I was had. The siren is in the sound track just where it has no business being.

That's twisted. Just plain twisted.

#90162 - 24/04/2002 19:58 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: gbeer]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I've fallen for that one too. You forget it's there.

#90163 - 24/04/2002 21:18 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: genixia]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
yeah, I've fallen for that one as well in other songs.

Even worse is a Radiohead song ("How Do You?" on Pablo Honey) that has a little [intentional] pop at the end. The first time I heard it and every time I forgot about it, it sounded like something had slammed into the undercarraige of the car. Scared the hell out of me and i wasn't totally convinced it was the song until I went back and listened for it. It's really realistic.

#90164 - 25/04/2002 14:38 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: gbeer]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I'd be in such a trance visualising the female "musicians" in the music video for this track I'd certainly not hear the sirens

Anyone remember the video (1985)?

#90165 - 25/04/2002 14:56 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I always found the over-stylized makeup and clothing on the models in that video to be repulsive rather than attractive.

#90166 - 25/04/2002 16:51 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Well, I guess there's no accounting for my (sleazy?) tastes, each to their own I guess!

Well done (sincerely) on finding that picture (mtv-china.com!), wow, nice find.

Thinking about the music video reminded me also of an odd tale; When that video was current VCRs weren't commonly owned and there was no such thing as MTV at the time. The only place you would see the video was on Top Of The Pops in the UK. The TV prog. only showed current peformances so once they stopped showing it that was it. Out of sheer desperation one day, a friend of mine wrote to the TV station (BBC) practically begging to buy a copy of the video. About 6 weeks later he received a VCR copy of the TOTP video along with a nicely typed letter thanking him for his interest!

I'd like to get my copy now but somehow I doubt they'd be interested

Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be.

#90167 - 25/04/2002 17:01 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Here in the US, the corresponding TV program was "Friday Night Videos".

Even when MTV was around in the early days, those who didn't have cable television or whose cable carriers didn't yet carry MTV would still resort to FNV.

Although I seem to remember that particular video post-dates VCR's being fairly common in the US. And I mean "relatively" common. Now, everyone has a VCR and they are $50.00 at the local drug store. Back then they were larger and much more expensive, but there were a significant number of consumer VCRs. My friend used to tape Friday Night Videos, you see...

#90168 - 26/04/2002 10:37 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm I never found much worth taping on FNV. MTV on the other hand had a lot of videos that were worth keeping for posterity. Then again, videos started getting a lot racier around that time. That Chris Isaak video with Helena Christensen still pops up at the end of some of my old VHS tapes from time to time...

#90169 - 26/04/2002 10:45 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, but that Chris Isaak video is from the 90's as I recall. I'm talking mid-eighties here for the FNV versus MTV thing, before everyone had cable.

#90170 - 26/04/2002 11:03 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yah that's what I'm saying. Videos began to show a lot more sexual imagery in the post-FNV era.

#90171 - 26/04/2002 12:22 Re: Palmer's "Addicted to Love" is flat out twisted. [Re: tfabris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Ohhh you mean when MTV played music videos
I still miss my hair bands video I made back in the mid-80's off of MTV with the family's top-loading, corded remote VCR.. Videos like Y&T "Summertime Girls," Scorpions "World Wide Live" concert video, Accept "Balls to the Wall" etc. BTW Scorps are touring with Dio and Deep Purple, somehow it just ain't the same anymore...